Recent Posts

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Review for Soul Mirrors







My love of storytelling traces back to my step-mother, who spun wonderful fantasy stories when I was child. I finished my first novel at sixteen. That first attempt was terrible, but taught me quite a bit about story construction. Though I would start numerous other projects in the following years, I wouldn't actually complete another book for another 21 years. 
I wasn't idle in that time, though. I earned a degree in engineering, married the love of my life, worked as a semi- truck driver crisscrossing the country, moved from Texas to North Dakota and then came back home. 
It's been a fun and interesting journey. I really enjoy engineering, but writing was my first passion, and I'm excited to share it with you.
I currently live in West Texas with my wife and our two adorable (but weird) cats.

Connect with the Author here: 
 ~ Website





"No one knows how human genetics evolved to create Mirrors. No one knows how the evidence of a criminal’s last horrendous act can be confirmed in a single gaze of a child’s silvered eyes. But just because science can’t explain something doesn’t mean it can’t be used, and this gift is simply too valuable to ignore.

Twins Thomas and Ashley Ross have grown up knowing they would be used as Mirrors for the “good” of humanity. When their powers mature at age twelve, they are taken weekly to fulfill their role. By reliving the most heinous crimes from a perpetrators’ perspective, they alone can assure that no innocent people will be executed, and that the worst offenders are not set free due to lack of evidence.

Justice is not without cost, however. Taking on the memories of others is a destructive process, one that quickly consumes the children involved until most take their own lives. As despair threatens to drown Thomas and Ashley, a distant hope keeps them from succumbing: If they can make it to their eighteenth birthday, their contract with the government will be fulfilled. Changing views on the morality of their role threatens to tear them apart, but the twins struggle to cling to each other and try to construct a fragile life above the weekly flood of horrors. 

As their work takes it toll, however, a new question emerges: does survival even matter when you’re already broken beyond repair?"



~ Amazon ~ Amazon UK


 I was completely caught on the idea of reading this book from the moment I read the back cover. I was really excited and I was NOT disappointed. This book was unique, and the ideas were very thought provoking. Even though some of the things the main characters dealt with were very heavy, the book itself was ... and was not all in one. I'm not sure how more to explain that. I can just say that I loved this book - I have already recommended it to so many people. It does touch on some heavy topics, but the author does an excellent job of handling those situations very delicately. With the characters being able to see the worst of humanity it is bound to be discussed, but I was really impressed with how well the situations were handled. However, it is not a book I would recommend for younger children even though the characters start the book at age 12. Author Wiley A. Haydon III did an amazing job of capturing my attention and making me feel for the characters and connect with them as they struggle and laugh, and find comfort in each other. Seriously one of the best books I have ever read and I highly recommend it.



To view our blog schedule and follow along with this tour visit our Official Event page 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review; I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much!

    Finding the right balance so that it didn't come across too heavy was one of the hardest parts of writing this novel. The premise itself is dark, and I knew that if I fell from emotionally engaging to emotionally manipulative I'd never recover. I'm glad that I managed to strike that balance, and I'm once again very grateful for your review!

    --Wiley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!